Address and E-mail

Elder Brandon Orr
3487 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

brandon.orr@myldsmail.net

Saturday, June 18, 2011

June 6th, 2011

Hey
So being a DL is not exactly fun....But definitely a learning experience! They just kind of throw you in there with not a lot of direction on what's happening. I'm pretty much just learning as I go. My first training last Friday was pretty good. I had a lot of fun with the Elders, trying to get them involved and have some fun. Most of the trainings aren't the best because Elders are just trying to impress the Zone Leaders. I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but I just got up and told them I wasn't doing any of this stuff for anyone but them. I told them I would be real with them, and that I wouldn't act like an almighty District Leader. No one likes to do what someone says when they act like they are better than you. I don't know, I was kind of being chill and letting them do things their way and letting them understand the consequences. I can't make them be obedient or work hard. I just told them it was there choice if they were going to do it or not. Blessings or No Blessings, Happiness or No happiness. Then I quoted Luke 6:46. Pretty awesome.

I'm kind of learning a lot about myself. I'm not a big motivator or inspiring leader, I'm just plain, honest, and to the point. My missionaries love it because I'm just a normal guy with them, but some people see it as not taking it serious. They haven't said anything, they just give off that impression. It's almost like they think you shouldn't be having fun and still getting your stuff done. It sometimes upsets me, but it's all good. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as we hit our goals at the end of the day.

It's been way stressful though. My companion, is still pretty miserable, and I don't know what to do. If I want to be obedient and work, he's fine with it but he's just a shadow of himself. He's not there. He just doesn't care or want to say anything when we go anywhere. We don't really have the Spirit when we teach. It's just hard, because he's one of my best friends out here and I'm not really the type to jump on someone for not doing stuff, especially with Lameta. He doesn't do well with that. He will just go silent for days and won't do anything when people get mad at him; doesn't respond to it at all. There's just no motivation.

I know I could get mad and make him work, that's no problem. But I love the kid. I want him to do what makes him happy. I don't want him to be miserable out here. I just feel like my hands are tied until he decides he wants to work. Our area is just about dead, not because of him, it's just down really bad right now. But, I think I'll try to slowly, one step at a time, get him back to being effective and loving the work. I hated doing that with Sharp. I felt like I wasted a transfer, but I don't think I love another guy in the world more than Elder Sharp after that transfer. I sacrificed a lot of my mission to help him and now he is tearing it up. He's doing so good! The change I've seen in him has been worth way more than most of my baptisms to me. I'm just not sure if I can do all that again haha.. Who knows.. maybe that's why we stayed together this transfer. The Lord knew I would take the time to do it. I just don't know. Love you.

Brandon Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment